The selection process for invitation of senior transfers occurs twice per year. Transcripts are automatically reviewed. Invitations are sent in March to those who qualify based on their record through the previous fall semester and in July for those who qualify based on their record through the previous spring semester (including Spring graduates). Invitations are sent by email. The homepage will include an announcement of when invitations are sent.
Criteria for Senior Transfer Students
- Completion of first semester of senior status (this is to be understood as the completion of one’s seventh semester of college work, or the intention to graduate in the current semester).
- Minimum GPA (for those graduating after December 2021): 3.88
- Minimum units earned: 95, at least 36 of which were earned at Cal.
- Minimum units earned in L&S courses: 75 (may include courses taken elsewhere)
L&S courses include both those offered by departments in L&S and approved courses offered by non-L&S departments that satisfy the L&S Seven-Course Breadth Requirement.
- Minimum letter-graded units in L&S courses: 45, at least 36 of which were taken at Cal.
(The remainder—up to 9 units—may be satisfied by courses transferred from other colleges. AP credits or college courses taken in high school do not qualify.)
Special temporary provision for courses taken in Spring 2020: for students enrolled in Spring 2020, the 36 graded units at Cal is reduced by the number of units in academic courses taken P/NP during Spring 2020. Example: if a student took 12 units of L&S courses on a P/NP basis in Spring 2020, the 36 minimum is reduced by 12 to 24.
- Completion of L&S Seven-Course Breadth Requirement.
For transfer students the Breadth Requirement may be satisfied by the notation of IGETC or UC Reciprocity on the transcript. The Foreign Language Requirement should also be satisfied.
To learn more about the L&S 7-Course Breadth Requirement, please visit https://lsadvising.berkeley.edu/seven-course-breadth
To determine the eligibility of a course offered outside of L&S, use the search function of the Berkeley Academic Guide (https://classes.berkeley.edu) using the filter for Breadth Requirements.